Login Register

Mum confronted by drinker's throat-cut threat, court told

By Wells Journal  |  Posted: June 14, 2012

Upset when she saw a man urinating against a wall outside her home, a woman became even more frightened when he shouted abuse and made a motion as if to cut his throat towards her.

When police were called to the scene in Coxley, near Wells, they arrested Tom Steven Wilkins and found he was in possession of a knife and cannabis.

When he was later interviewed he admitted he was drunk and said he had tried to sort out things amicably after the woman had shouted at him and denied making any throat-slitting gestures.

Wilkins, 25, of Harters Hill Lane, Coxley, pleaded guilty to being in possession of an offensive weapon and a quantity of cannabis on May 5.

He also admitted using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour towards Georgina Sharp when he appeared before South Somerset Magistrates.

Julyan Stephens, prosecuting, said Mrs Sharp was at home when she saw a man outside urinating against a wall near her children while holding a can of lager. Her husband heard some swearing and asked the male to leave but received an abusive response.

"Shortly afterwards Mrs Sharp heard a knocking on the door and she saw the defendant who accused her of calling him a paedophile," said Mr Stephens.

"He then asked her to go outside and was making a cutting motion to his throat towards her."

The police were called and arrested Wilkins and while he was being escorted to the police van he dropped a metal object which was found to be a knife with a 12-inch blade.

Wilkins told the officers he had it for his own protection and when he was searched again at the police station was found to have some cannabis on him which he said was for his own personal use.

He said the victim had been swearing at him and he went to the address to try and sort things out in a friendly way.

Defending solicitor Gareth Webb said Wilkins had been to his brother's house to watch the FA Cup Final on television and had been drinking.

"He thought he had discreetly gone round the corner to urinate, however he was then confronted and perhaps her reaction was stronger than it should have been," he said.

"Things then got out of control and he was just too drunk to act in a sensible manner."

Mr Webb added that Wilkins was well known and liked in the village of Coxley and although did not drink every day, when he did he could not stop.

Wilkins had never been offered proper alcohol counselling before, which was the reason that underpinned all his criminal offending.

The magistrates sentenced Wilkins to a 12-month community order with requirements for supervision and to carry out 10 hours' unpaid work.

An order was also made for the cannabis and knife to be destroyed.

Read more from Wells Journal