Login Register

Lord leads Shepton's goal rush

By Wells Journal  |  Posted: January 17, 2013

Comments (0)

Exeter Hornets Men B 1 Shepton Mallet Men 14

Simon Lord bagged a triple treble as an unstoppable second-half display saw Shepton Mallet thrash bottom side Exeter Hornets.

The visitors started well, with Lord converting his first of a nine-goal haul from an early short corner won by Lewis Duchezeau. Jack Patterson made it 2-0 before half- time, winning and converting a penalty flick.

There had been little suggestion of the impending second-half onslaught but Shepton caught Exeter napping at the restart and hit the backboards after just a few seconds – the first of 12 goals in 35 minutes.

Jamie Phillips' run set up Lord's second goal and his third and fourth followed shortly afterwards when he converted two more penalty flicks.

White was the provider as Heywood got in on the act with a first-time strike. Lord then scored his fifth and completed a double hat-trick following a good run from Chris Reina.

Duchezeau stole possession at the restart and stormed down the pitch to score, with Lord bagging his seventh soon afterwards.

Chris Reina grabbed goal number 11 and Mike Squire added the 12th but it was up to Phillips Tyres man of the match Lord to finish the rout, striking twice more to take his total to nine.

Shepton host local rivals Mid-Somerset at Shepton Mallet Sports Centre on Saturday.

Shepton Mallet Men A 2 Bristol & West Men B 2

Andy Campbell-Orde fired a late leveller to earn Shepton Mallet's second string a draw with Bristol & West.

The hosts started brightly, moving the ball confidently around the pitch and having their first chance on goal within minutes of the pushback when Andy Boyce broke free from his defender, only to see his effort sail past the post.

However, the breakthrough came at the other end just before the interval when Bristol capitalised on some poor marking, with their striker finding space to shoot between the post and the keeper's pads.

Scott Beeching, Darrell Chainey and Mike Spencer produced outstanding displays for the home side after the break and Shepton were rewarded ten minutes in with a short corner for an illegal tackle. Boyce stepped up to get his goal tally for 2013 under way.

Shepton began to tire and Bristol took the lead again with 15 minutes to go. The hosts did not give up, however, and fought back to win another short corner.

This time Boyce slipped the ball to Campbell-Orde and he swept it home to earn Shepton a point.

Phillips Tyres man of match: Mike Spencer.

Shepton Mallet Colts 1 Mid Somerset B 3

Shepton Mallet's Colts, consisting of 12 players aged 15 and under, were narrowly beaten when they played their first-ever game against a far more experienced Mid Somerset outfit.

Shepton were put under some pressure early on but excellent tackles by Leo Boot and fine saves from goalkeeper Keiran McColl kept Mids at bay.

Colts' confidence grew as the half progressed and Lloyd Howell started to find his passing range in midfield, while Joe Fone burst down the flanks on numerous occasions.

Freddy Gummer began to find space and create havoc with his searing pace as the second half got under way but Mids took the lead after ten minutes.

Shepton found themselves short in defence and a cross from the left picked out an unmarked attacker, who gave replacement keeper Tom Fone no chance as he slotted the ball into the far corner.

Colts' young side did not give up and were expertly marshalled by the experienced Neil Billing and Andrew Boyce. They equalised five minutes later when Gummer finished from close range following excellent work from Joe Fone and McCaul.

The final ten minutes were decisive, though, as Shepton tired and Mids took control with two late goals. The first came from a neat finish into the roof of the net before a penalty corner sealed the win.

Read more from Wells Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters